Aug 30, 2006

You say Nacho...I see Macho

The last few days have been very very busy.
Yesterday we spent in Riga, and I saw the city from the highest point, the St. Peter's church tower. It was pretty amazing, and pretty windy as well.
We ventured to the country house a while back, which I should say is beautiful. Their grandparents live there and they are 84 and 82 years old. They are the sweetest souls, and knew no English...I really wished I knew more Latvian right then so I could of said more. They have an amazing garden full of carrots, onions, tomatoes, beans, cabbage, potatoes, cucumbers, pumpkins, herbs, peppers...apple trees, and berries...I can't imagine how they manage it all by their selves. (we ate all of our meals there straight from their gardens) The grandpa was so kind and gave me about a dozen hugs or so before I left, he has this little lap harp of an instrument ( I will try to find the English name for it later) and he learned to play the US national anthem on it just for me. Afterwards he kept apologizes for how bad he thought it was, and wants me to learn the Latvian national anthem so I can sing it for him next time we see him.
Also at the country house, inese my host mom, has a couple of bee boxes...So I got to make honey! It was a lot of fun, even though I am not a fan of bees, and we made a lot of really really good honey...I have never eaten it fresh like that, it really is something else.

On Monday I went to the weight room again to lift at night, and it worked out just fine. (I was told I most go at night when the trainer is there) Well I walked in, and the room is full of very very very large body builder/power lifter types, all guys....Even the trainer was gigantic. They all looked at me as if to say, "You...Weight room? Do you know where you are?" But I got my work out in and the trainer was really very helpful (though I don't think he really knew what to do with me). The best part was that this European radio station was playing "Air plays greatest hits" (all American) and I'd be lifting and in the mirrors I would see these huge macho guys dancing around to American pop music. (It took a lot of control to not totally burst out laughing)

I met with the sports school today and the head director was very very nice, and a skier!
Kids here focus on one sport so I will be enrolled as a Nordic skier for the next ten months or so.
There are 150 kids in the program (from 7-20 years old) and I will hear from my coach later today. We will then set a day and time to meet and start training with my group. I will race in the national championship races here this year (there will be 4 stages) and also other races in the Baltic area. So I guess it was mostly good news, I was disappointed a bit about the one sport thing but I will make do with what I have. Also this Saturday their is a roller ski sprint in the center of town and if they can get me some skis by then I will compete in it as well!

School starts Friday, and with classes and more kids I will have more and more to tell you...
I'm hoping next time I will be able to post pictures!

Oh and I saw the Baltic Sea yesterday...It is beautiful and peaceful, it was chilly but we went for a little swim.

I'm missing you all still...But school will start and I think that time will fly by...Maybe
until next time

No comments: